The following exercises will be of benefit in women after mastectomy:
Hand wall climbing
1. Face the wall and put palms of your hands flat against the wall with shoulders aligned level.
2. Flex your fingers so that your hands slowly “walk” up the wall.
3. Stop when your hands are fully extended.
4. Slowly “walk” down your hands until they return to shoulder level. Repeat as often as you want.
1. Drape a six feet long rope over a shower curtain rod or over the top of a door. If you use a door for this exercise, have someone put a nail or hook at the top of the door so that the rope does not slip.
2 Grab the ends of rope one in each hand, and extend your arms out to your sides till they are all straight.
3. Pull down-keeping your arms straight. Use your left arm to pull up your right arm and vice versa.
4. Repeat this exercise for about 10-15 min.
1. Tie a rope to the knob of a closed door.
2. Hold the other end of the rope and step back from the door until your arm is straight out in front of you.
3. Swing the rope in a circle. Start with small circles and gradually increase to larger circles as you become more flexible.